Thursday, September 16, 2010

We're here!

Okay, so I have not been a good blogger since I have been here, but I am writing tonight! We have been here for 2 weeks and almost 3 days. We are doing relatavly well, except the following:
1. Ellyott is crying alot at his daycare - probably getting used to so many more kids - at his dayhome, there were only 6.
2. The first week and a half, he had a tummy flu and now I have it.
3. Which is probably number one, our things are not here yet. They were supposed to come on August 30, but here we are at September 16 and NOTHING....
4. I am stressed about money because I have not gotten paid and I have had to spend TONNES of money on diapers as again, they are in my shipment
5. I do not have my warm clothes either, and capris and sandals are not cutting it in the snow. Seriously!
So, I have learned an important lesson about the North... here goes...

DO NOT BELIEVE ANYONE FROM THE SOUTH WHO SAYS YOUR THINGS WILL ARRIVE IN THE NORTH WITHIN 4 WEEKS.... THAT IS A BUNCH OF BALONEY!!!! PACK LOTS OF WINDER CLOTHES, DISHES, SILLY THINGS LIKE A STRAINER AND FINGERNAIL CLIPPERS, BECAUSE YOU WILL SUFFER OTHERWISE!

Okay, so now that is off of my mind and I can share some wonderful things. I went on a walk for suicide awareness day with the community who chanted "Embrace Life". It was amazing to see how a community, so very intimately affected by suicide, gathered so closely for something so special!

We went out with a co-worker to her family cabin "out on the land" and it was a huge honor to spend time with her and her parents, who are 1st generation Inuit. It was an experience that I will hold true to my heart forever.

We are finishing up our orientation tomorrow, during with time I met the Assistant Deputy Minister. She attended our week long orientation. We met with 2 Elders and went through PILES AND PILES of documents. This is going to be a great job - hard, busy, and challenging, but honestly, I don't think I would get this experience at home. I am honored.

I also ordered food mail for the first time, which was supposed to come in Tuesday - but planes were cancelled as it was too foggy here for them to land. It did not arrive today, so I do hope it comes before it all spoils!!!!!!!

I have put lots of pics on my Facebook page and will continue to add more. One thing I want to say is that there are soooo many employment positions here that are not filled, if you want to come up North, it would be an enriching experience and you should seriously consider it. I learned on my first day here that the Inuit have a motto. The motto is as follows...

Regardless of your life situation is - no food, no money, bad health, relationship problems etc... we wake up everyday with a smile, and continue that smile throughout the day and that smile warms others as well as our own hearts... magnificient!

No comments:

Post a Comment